Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Men and Women are DIFFERENT

It is very true...men and women are different!  Isn't that an awesome thing?  I love that I'm different from my male friends, and that they are different from me.  There's something about the way men think that truly intrigues me.  Take for instance, the word, FINE.  Ok, for a man, it means that everything is good.  For a woman, it can mean a myriad of things...if it comes with an eye-roll and a huff of air, it is NOT good, if a woman says "I'm fine", she's not.  It's funny, really, when you think about it.  My best friend, Dan, goes NUTS over this difference.  Personally, I like to push his buttons every so often, so I just say the word "FINE" and we can both start laughing like loons over it.  


We also think very differently about money...for men, money is an ends to a means, it's the way to get things, for women, however, money is security.  It means that we can pay our bills, and maybe go shopping if we have any left over.  It's a huge difference.


We also differ in the way that we relate to each other.  I've watched my male friends talk to each other, when they didn't think that anyone was watching them, and they insult each other, maybe talk some sports, or work, but they very rarely, if ever discuss their feelings with each other.  Whereas women, ALWAYS talk about their feelings with each other.  I also think this is why men are so uncomfortable when confronted with feelings, although, my male friends will call me and discuss their feelings with me.  I guess that means that I'm their safe place to go.  I like that, a lot.  It means that I've earned their trust, and that they love me.  


I love the way that men interact with me too...my closest male friends will treat me like a lady, and make sure that I am ok, safe, and cared about.  Men whom I am acquainted with will shoot pool with me, or drink a beer with me, and will talk, about casual subjects.  Men who don't know me usually always look at my chest, then maybe my eyes...which can make me uncomfortable, but most of the time it just amuses me, as it's just a dumb thing that men do.  Sometimes, I'm not even sure that they are aware of it.  


If I'm in a relationship with a man, and I'm sharing a problem, the man always wants to fix it for me...not that I want him to fix it, but usually, that's what happens...and although I am perfectly capable of fixing my own problems, most of the time, and if I can't fix it myself, I know where to go to get something fixed, and can pay for it!  I don't know why men think that they have to solve our problems, but they do.  


I've worked in mostly male related fields, automotive, fire, and ems.  I love working with men.  They'll be the first ones to tell me that I'm being bitchy, or that I'm doing a great job.  Most of the women that I've worked with have stabbed me in the back to climb the ladder themselves, so working with men has been a lot more fun.  I just also seem to relate to men better, I understand their humor, and have been called my best friend's 13 year old boy twin...and it's true, their humor is FUNNY!  Who else can fart, and then rate it?  Women do NOT do that!  


I have 3 sons.  I love the relationships that I have with each of them.  I love the men that 2 of them have grown into being, and that they are gentle with women, and caring, and know how to share their feelings as well.  The 3rd one is still a teenager, so he's got some growing and learning to do, and we're working on that relationship, but the truth is, I know that he'll be ok in the long run...just wish it'd be shorter.


So, men...THANK YOU for being so different from us, for completing us, and for loving us.  Thank you for your friendships, for they have made me grow, as a woman and a human being.  You have taught me so many things, good and bad, and I appreciate who y'all are, for who you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment