Friday, December 23, 2011

What a day!

Today actually started early for me.  I had to be up at 8:30, so that I could get on the road by 9:00, to go to the Eastern Shore of MD to pick up my daughter.  With all good intentions, I did set my alarm for 8:00...needless to say, I hit the snooze button one too many times, and ended up waking up at 9:00.  Not sure how I did it, but I had the car packed, and the tank filled up, and I was on the road by 9:30.  Whew!


I got to the shore by 11:25, and Shayna was late getting to the meeting spot.  So...that put me behind time by an hour...as she didn't get there until 12:15.  This always frustrates me, but I dealt with it, and once she got there, and we got her stuff packed into the car, we were back on the road by 12:30, to drive to Lynchburg, VA to my parent's house.


To say that the traffic on 95 South just South of DC was a nightmare of epic proportions is actually an understatement.  We literally sat in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 and 1/2 hours.  Now, I don't know WHAT it is about that stretch of Interstate 95, but it does NOT matter what time of day, or what day even, that one travels through there, but it it will ALWAYS be backed up...but today was worse than normal.  To take 2.5 hours to go only 50 miles is ridiculous, to say the very least.  I don't know what it is with people who do NOT know how to merge into traffic, and I don't know what it is with people who do NOT know how to allow others to merge into said traffic, but THAT is the sole reason for today's back-up.  


What should have been an 8 hour road trip turned into 10 hours.  We were 2 hours late for dinner...and dinner at my mom's is always a good thing...she's a much better cook than she was when I was growing up, and tonight's dinner was yummy....Baked Ziti....but my mom also adds meat to it, as in MY house, that's a meatless meal.  But I digress...once we got here, everything has been much less frustrating.


I usually dread coming to my parent's house, mainly because I know that there will be some kind of judgement, and tonight, was strangely different. Daddy did not ask about my divorce, for the first time since Kent asked for his permission to divorce me...Yes, I made Kent ask my dad's permission.  I thought that it was only fitting that since he asked my dad for his permission to marry me, that he should be asking for permission to divorce me as well, and as this wasn't MY decision, I wasn't going to be the one to tell my father, a first generation Italian American, who is also a professor at one of the country's biggest Christian colleges that I was getting divorced a second time.  


Mom has been in rare form lately, and has actually been pretty funny...I like it when she's like that...Shayna also helps to buffer against a lot of the judgement...as she's the only grandchild who is here this visit, as David isn't allowed to leave the state of PA.  So...it's always good to have at least one of my kids with me....they help!  


Two of my brothers live here, and both of my sisters, and my youngest sister's new husband will be arriving here tomorrow around 11 am, and that will also help take some of the pressure off of me.  YAY!  I'm looking forward to spending some time with 4 of my 5 siblings.  Yep, there are 6 of us, but my other brother is not well, mentally, and hasn't been home in years.  


Here's hoping that  y'all have a very happy Christmas.  I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment