Monday, February 10, 2014

Open Letter To My Daughter Before She Marries

Dearest Shayna:

There are so many things that I want to tell you before you get married.  You are embarking on a new journey in your life, and I couldn't be more proud of you and happy for you!  I love you very much, and know that you will be a fantastic wife.

A couple of notes of advice for you:

1.) Allow your husband to lead you in your marriage.  Let him know how much you trust him to lead you and lead your family.  He needs to hear that often.

2.) Appreciate everything that he does for you and your family.  Let him know how much you appreciate his efforts.  He works hard to provide for you, and needs your encouragement.

3.) Tell him how much you love him, how handsome he is, and be his soft place to fall.  He will come home from work cranky, it happens, allow him the time he needs to vent, and help him to make the hard decisions.

4.) Remember that he will come home from work cranky, it happens.  Be his soft place to fall and allow him to vent to you, when he has problems.  Be the voice of reason, and help him to make the correct decisions.

5.) Keep others out of your relationship.  This includes me.  If you are fighting with him, you need to fix it.  Be the hero in your relationship.

6.) Always be your beautiful self!  You, my dear daughter, are an amazing human being.  You are loving and caring, and logical.  You have a good head on your shoulders, and know how to use it.

7.) Never forget that there are those of us who love you and will support your marriage.  We want you to be successful!

Remember that you are enough, that you are enough, that you are ENOUGH!  You will make mistakes, we all do, but when you do, own up to them, and do better.

Remember that I will cry on your wedding day.  Not because I am unhappy or sad, but because I know that you are wonderful, and I'm giving you to your husband, as your own woman.  I will be remembering the day that you were born, your first words, your first steps, your first day of school, your first day of high school, your funny self, all of the memories (good and bad) that we have shared, and I'll be amazed by who you are and thankful and honored that I had the good fortune to be your mother.

I love you so very much!

Momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment